Sunday, April 22, 2012

Record Store Day 2012

We Came…………
We Saw……………
We Conquered………..
That pretty much sums up our experience With Record Store Day 2012. Yes, I had spent months preparing ( Ok …maybe more like a week..). I knew I was going to get up early, I had to get a copy of RU Mine by the Arctic Monkeys. After all, there were only 1350 copies made IN THE WORLD, and you could only buy it on this day ( Unless of course you wanted to tune into Ebay the next day and spend a fortune on it….*) So at 11 am, a full hour after the record stores opened Richard, Justin and I made our way to the Vintage Stock near our homes.

I will admit, I was worried. I had been on line reading Record Store Day Tweets. In London, they were qued up for 2 hours before the store opened, At Grimeys ( wherever that is) They were lined up around the block. By leaving an hour after 10 I was surly to ruin my chances at all the glory.
Right….we are in Tulsa after all. We get to the store and hop right on in and within 5 minutes I have the beautiful purple 45 in my hands, along with a Hives 45.


I was a bit disappointed to say the least, not at my purchase, but I wanted the excitement of crowds, I wanted to stand in a long line listening to people talk about their Record Store Day experiences and judge their horrid music taste. Oh well…moving along to the next Vintage Stock. We still walk right in, tho this one was a bit empty of Record Store merchandise, I am positive I have missed the excitement due to our one hour late start. Justin buys Parachutes by Coldplay on Vinyl and I am completely jealous due to the lack of Coldplay in my own home due to a Chris Martin hating husband. I bought the Shins Port of Morrow and an older Oasis CD ( older? is there newer?) I also went ahead and bought the last copy that they had of RU Mine . While I was checking out someone called wanting it and the girl behind the counter asked me if I was purchasing it ( Ummm yeah...) Now I know I already have a copy, I also know there are only 1350 being sold and I know I should have said…” Oh here let them have it, I have already bought one..” Somewhere in Tulsa there is a Arctic Monkey fan Crying Lightning  ( they, like me, should have gotten their ass out of bed and got there before I did because we all know nothing comes between me and Alex Turner)
FOOD BREAK—
The men are hungry. Obviously they do not know that shopping is meant to BURN calories, not to consume them. I spend the time picking at a veggie taco and finding out next target for the day...Blue Moon Disc.
O. M. G. Heaven. Why haven’t I been here before? Wall to wall vinyl..walls filled with concert posters both past and present. It even smelled good, like that rotten paper smell you get in used bookstores.

 I bought nothing here but he apparently had a line before he opened up and a rush on all his RSD merch as he had nothing but a Pretty In pink Soundtrack album left. Hubbie buys every ZZ Top album the old guy has plus a Pete Townsend album ( who knew he liked Pete with all the Who hate he spews) I will keep this place locked in my memory and it will be a regular stop now on my shopping trips, it had everything…WAIT…RSD had bags? Cute little reusable bags that proclaimed you took part? All I got was a simple plain normal brown paper bag. I knew I should have gotten up earlier, planned better..I need a new bag..it would have been almost as fab as the records I bought….ALMOST
I check into Foursquare as we moved on to Starship, and because I have checked into so many on RSD I get a vinyl sticker from Foursquare, plus extra points for it being RSD…Some one get me a crown, its a proud moment. The parking lot is full, the store is full ( I bet they had a line at 10am) There’s a live band, there are boxes upon boxes of special things to buy. Starship was the glory of the day. I snagged the special re-lease of London Calling and the un-released Joey Ramone. Hubbie snagged a Flogging Molly CD, Justin roamed around the store




We decide on one last stop. The Antique store where we usually go to buy our vinyl, just to kill time before Justin has to go home and paint his mailbox (Which later in the evening I find out would have made a blog post unto itself) There is some guy there in a room full of rare record albums, so we dig. There is plenty there to look at, but I'm not buying an Elvis album for 150.00 I don't care if he was the King of Rock and Roll…BUT…he also had this…



I HAD TO HAVE IT…The Original ( not a reprint) of the Beatles ( known as the White Album) I bought it. Now because of my bog purchase I will probably have to go see the Arctic Monkeys next week without a new pair of jeans on. Oh the sacrifice we make in the name of music
**Looked on ebay that night RU MINE is selling for 65.00 and people are bidding..

No comments:

Post a Comment